The Stepping Stone Phase.

Just another potato day with zero progress on my scholarship application. Shame on myself. T.T


Well, I'm writing this post just simply to talk about what I have learnt for the past 6 months of internship.

Unlike what I have written in my long-winded internship report, this would be a rather honest and simple one. Haha

Compare to other friends from other courses who just had their internship for 3 months, my 28 weeks of internship seemed to be a bit too long, even when I compared to my coursemates. Even the intern from another department but same floor thought I was a permanent staff. HAHAHAHA (I guessed I adapted to the culture too well?)

Instead of complaining about what I have been through for the past 6 months, perhaps I will just mention about the things I learned there, regardless it's job related or not. At least I didn't complain to my friends about my work that often compared to the times when I was complaining about my uni life all the time. Opps.

So, here goes,

1. Gained online banking knowledge.
As an online banking illiterate, it was really contradicting for me being in the E-channel team, even my boss doubted about that. LOL But now I'm proud to say that at least I know how to use fund transfer online, maybe. Haha I used to have the "online banking is insecure" kind of mindset, though I know its convenience. It's still quite complicated when it comes to some understandings in using the platform but there is this moment of satisfaction when I was able to answer my friend's question when she asked about FTT. So yeah, I still get to learn something from my internship eh.

2. Brushed up my sense of art and designing skill.
If you know me well enough, you know I'm not an Art person, even when I tried hard. T.T Who on earth will ever know that Designing will become my main task during my whole internship life. HAHAHA And my designing tool was Microsoft Word instead of Photoshop. *insert claps* Never look down on Word okay. I even discovered the Microsoft Publisher in my office desktop and my boss was really impressed about that because he never realize there is such designing software in there after working there for 2 years. *Feeling proud* I must thank my kind boss and colleagues for acknowledging me for my sales kit and brochure designs. That feeling is indescribable when something that you thought was once your biggest weakness is a strength of yours in someone's eyes. Of course my work is totally not comparable to the professionals la but yeah, at least my boss liked it. (Maybe because they have no better choice other than me. Opps)

3. Learned how to read Hangul.
This is quite an achievement to me as I always wanted to learn Korean language during my uni times, but I didn't get to learn it due to many reasons, and one of them is simply because I was too lazy to start it off. I began to study Korean online when I have free time at work or when I was waiting my boss to assign me another task. I guess my way of learning wasn't effective enough since I'm still very bad at forming sentences and recognizing vocabs. But at least I can read Hangul now, in a very slow way. I answered a lot of quiz questions and got them correct too, guessed them correctly to be exact. So I think my current Korean proficiency level is stuck at the level which I can read them, guess some simple vocab when translation and options are given. Still, I am very happy that I can read the Hanguls when I watch dramas or music videos. =)

4. Increased my typing speed.
Thanks to Mint, I found the best way to act busy when I was too free. The Typing Test. It is very useful to make yourself looking busy as if you are working on something by hitting on the keys. However it was awkward when my young supervisor found out and asked for a challenge. *insert face palms* Practice makes perfect. The moment of satisfaction is when my typing test result have improved from Fluent to Fast, from 50 WPM to 71 WPM. And I can type without looking at the keyboard often now. I do think this is a very important skill to master on. Some employers even have this as an employment test leh.

5. Used to be alone.
Over the past 6 months, I lost count of the number of meals I had alone. Thanks to my team culture, I'm quite comfortable with it now, and even prefer to eat alone sometimes. Unlike other teams or even other companies, my colleagues always have their meals by themselves, or went out with other colleagues from other departments, but not with our own team.

After my first week there, my colleague stopped bringing me around and I was expected to settle my own lunch. Sometimes, I did have my lunch with them when they asked me to join, but most of the times I have to eat alone. Eating alone in public place wasn't a thing to me all the time because it makes me look pity and forever alone of course, and I am very not comfortable with it. My supervisor always asked me why I didn't join my colleagues for lunch and I always replied him with an awkward smile. What do you expect me to answer right? Tak kan I answer you honestly that the colleagues didn't jio me and you never ask me to join you too lor. I know I shouldn't expect people to ask me instead being an intern I should be the one asking to join right? But yeah, I tried and it was super duper awkward so I rather have my lunch alone.

As time went by, I began to enjoy Me time. I don't have to wait for other people to have lunch with, I don't have to try so hard to find a topic to chat with my colleagues, I don't have to put on an awkward smile when I have lunch with bosses and I can do whatever I want for that precious 1-hour lunch time. Thanks to that, I started to love grocery shopping too. Isetan was my favourite grocery of all, especially when there were food testings and promotions. Now I think I can do a lot of things alone if I can't find someone to accompany me. Ger ready for my forever alone life before all my friends find their another half in the near future. LOL

Hmmm... I guessed that's all as a summary. Unexpected long post eh. Haha Internship is definitely a stepping stone for one's future career, when we are allowed to make mistakes and ask questions.

How I wish if I can fill in the free text field in my application form just like this.

Suppose to update my resume but my potatoness is overwhelming. Tsk tsk.

Just another good night. I hope I will find my motivation tomorrow.

Comments